Nominations for 2021 Distinguished Physician Alumni Award are due Friday, November 27, 2020!
Distinguished Physician Alumni Award
The Distinguished Physician Alumni Award is the highest honor the USF Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society bestows to acknowledge the personal, professional and community contributions of its alumni. It is presented in recognition of exemplary dedication to the profession of medicine, insightful contributions to the medical profession, tireless efforts to the community, and the graduate's continued professional and personal growth.
Criteria for Nomination
- Nominees must be living graduates from the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine's MD program.
- Current USF Health Morsani College of Medicine Society Board members and previous Morsani College of Medicine Outstanding/Distinguished MD Alumni Award winners are not eligible.
- Eligible nominees will exhibit one or more of the following characteristics:
- Outstanding contributions to the advancement of medicine - academic, clinical, scientific or humanistic
- Active participation to bring about change in the health care system
- Participation in professional and community activities locally, nationally, and/or internationally
- High professional standards and commitment
- Support or mentorship of colleagues in the nominee's area of expertise
- Contributions to the promotion of new research, standards, and practice via publication in professional journals, textbooks and other publications
- Utilization of current research in practice
- Active support of the Morsani College of Medicine through volunteer service and/or philanthropy
4. The nominee will be required to attend the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine MD Commencement Dinner and participate in the Path of Honor during the Commencement Ceremony in May 2021. The Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society Board may waive this requirement for exceptional circumstances.
- Call for nominations will be made via the Morsani College of Medicine Alumni newsletter, the Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society website, USF Alumni Association AlumNews, e-mail notices to Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society with valid e-mail addresses on file, the Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Facebook page and e-mails to current faculty.
- Nominations may be submitted by alumni, faculty, emeriti faculty, staff, friends, family and administrators of the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine. Self-nominations are encouraged.
- The nomination process will take place through submissions by e-mail or mail to the Morsani College of Medicine director.
- All nomination packets must include the following:
- Completed Distinguished Physician Alumni Nomination form below
- A letter of nomination explaining why the nominee meets the qualifications of the award criteria
- Resume or vita of nominee. Two letters of support may be submitted in place of a resume or vita
- One or more letters of support from peers are recommended but not required
- Other details or pertinent data that might prove helpful in supporting the nomination including documentation of public or professional recognition, articles or books published and honors received
The USF Health Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Awards Committee and Board of Directors will review all properly completed nomination packets. Based on documented criteria, the Committee and Board will present the candidate for approval. Selections will be made by the end of February. In the event that persons nominated are not deemed to meet the selection criteria, the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine Alumni Society Board of Directors reserves the right to not bestow awards in any given year.
2019 William B. Moskowitz, MD '78
2018 Pedro A. Piedra, MD '81
2017 Peter Embi, MD '97
2016 James E. Gern, MD '81
2015 Eric A. Elster, MD '95
2014 Julie A. Jacobson, MD '94
2013 Eduardo C. Gonzalez, MD '91
2012 Michael T. Flannery, MD '88
2011 Paul M. Wallach, MD '84
1997 James M. Sherman, Jr., MD '75
1996 George S. Bisset III, MD '75
1995 John I. Hughes, MD '75
1994 Patricia P. Barry, MD '75
1993 Loren J. Bartels, MD '74
1992 Douglas J. Barrett, MD '74