Morsani College of Medicine ASSIST Program: Alumni Helping Young and Future Physicians Succeed
The new USF Health Morsani College of Medicine ASSIST program provides a powerful way to help USF medical students, residents, and fellows following in your footsteps. This program connects alumni volunteers to these trainees as they navigate a successful transition from USF to the next chapter in their journey.
Ways You Can Help
There are many potential needs that trainees have as they contemplate their careers. Personal connections to alumni are invaluable to them, especially with those in their chosen specialty or who live in another region where they’re considering relocating.
The types of opportunities envisioned for alumni include (but are certainly not limited to):
- Hosting students or residents in your home for a meal or an overnight stay during interviews
- Connecting and being a ‘friendly face’ for students who match or for residents/fellows who accept jobs in your community to help them transition to Tampa or from Tampa to your region
- Providing information about your specialty choice, residency programs, tips for success or things they learned by mistakes you may have made
- Sharing details about unique career options you have explored
- Answering questions about your geographic area, such as cost of living or best neighborhoods for commuting or meeting family needs
- Introducing students or residents to those among your peer groups
To participate in this program as an alumni volunteer, please complete the ASSIST volunteer form, where you can select which ways you would like to help USF MD students and GME residents and fellows.
To participate in this program as a current USF MD student or GME resident or fellow, please apply here.
Questions? Contact Valerie Riddle, MD '89, Associate Dean for Alumni Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All ASSIST trainee participants and alumni volunteers must sign a confidentiality statement to participate in the program. The USF Health Morsani College of Medicine alumni relations team will connect students and alumni volunteers on a case-by-case basis as their interests match.