Alumni and Student Programming
The Alumni & Student Programming Committee works on several initiatives throughout the academic year that focus on bringing students and alumni together. This includes programs such as alumni hosting, shadowing, mentoring, alumni-led lecture series, etc.
- Time commitment: Alumni & Student Programming Committee members can expect to be asked to contribute 1-5 hours of their time per year, on average, and be asked to attend events and activities.
- Chair: Elizabeth Sagatys, MD '03
Awards and Recognition
The Awards and Recognition Committee honors alumni of the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine who have made significant contributions to either the college or the field of medicine. Committee members help to identify alumni who are worthy of nominations, identify appropriate opportunities to make formal awards, and assist in establishing award criteria.
- Time commitment: Awards and Recognition Committee members can expect to be asked to contribute 1-5 hours of their time per year, on average, and be asked to attend the awards ceremony.
- Chair: Paul Wallach, MD '84
Marketing and Communications
The Marketing and Communications Committee works on increasing the visibility of the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine's Alumni Society. Committee members will be asked for their input regarding publications, website and social media, which are managed by the alumni office staff. They will be asked to help publicize and recruit alumni participation at events.
- Time commitment: Marketing and Communications Committee members can expect to be asked to contribute 1-5 hours of their time, every six months. They will also be asked to attend alumni events and activities.
- Chair: Dolores Lowe, MD '93
The Nominating Committee works on developing policies for Board recruitment, receives and evaluates nominations, and presents to the Board a slate of new directors and officers for approval at the Annual Meeting.
- Time commitment: Nominating Committee members can expect to be asked to contribute 1-5 hours of their time every six months, and be asked to attend the Annual Meeting.
- Chair: Diane Duffy, MD '89
The Reunion Committee works on planning the fall alumni reunion for milestone anniversary classes. This year, the classes of 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005,
2010 will be celebrating special anniversaries. This committee will contact classmates and encourage them to attend the reunion and recruit other classmates to help them in this effort. The reunion committee will also be involved in the planning of the reunion.
- Time commitment: Reunion Committee members can expect to be asked to contribute 1-5 hours of their time every four months, and be asked to attend the reunion weekend.
The Residency Alumni Committee works to connect with current and former residents to provide increased value to both the alumni and the medical college through increased networking, educational and fundraising opportunities.
- Time commitment: Reunion Committee members can expect to be asked to contribute 1-5 hours per year and attend meetings and residency alumni activities.
- Co-chairs: Corey Howard, MD '90 & Evita Henderson-Jackson, MD '90
We appreciate everyone's time, talent and treasure. Aside from committee opportunities, there are multiple ways to get involved with the alumni society, interact with students, plan fun events for your classmates and much more:
This role is ideal for someone who has maintained contact with their classmates or would welcome the opportunity to do so. This person would be a representative for their class and help with outreach and communications for programs and events that require alumni participation.
- Time commitment: These alumni volunteers will be asked to contact fellow alumni for an average of 1-3 hours every four months. This role will have flexible scheduling for involvement and offers many opportunities to get involved regularly, each year.
Alumni Hosting Program
Host a medical student who is interviewing for residency positions in your geographical region. Alumni may host as many, or as few, times per interview season as they wish. All arrangements will be made on a case-by-case basis with the alumnus, student, and an alumni office representative.
- Time commitment: Alumni volunteers should expect their students to ask to stay with them for one or two nights. Hosting could also mean taking someone to lunch or dinner or even just a phone call to answer questions about the host's experience. Some alumni may not be contacted each cycle. Alumni will remain on the hosting list provided to students unless a request to be removed is made.
Shadowing and Mentoring
Allow a medical student to shadow you during your day at work. Alumni may work with students as many or as few times as they wish. All arrangements will be made on a case-by-case basis with the alumnus, student, and an alumni office representative.
- Time commitment: Alumni who volunteer for the shadowing program should expect their students to ask to visit with them for a few hours or an entire work day. Some alumni may not be contacted each cycle. Alumni will remain on the shadowing list provided to students unless a request to be removed is made.
Alumni-Led Lecture Series
Committee members will help recruit and occasionally participate as alumni lecture series speakers. Topics may include anything from basic information about specialties, academic medicine, community medicine, planning ones future, practice managements, financial planning, etc.
- Time commitment: Alumni who volunteer for the lectures series initiative should expect to volunteer 1-2 hours of their time for each lecture, plus travel time. Most alumni will not be called upon in excess of once a year.